Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Deane Retrospective  (Read 28721 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Mike Deane Retrospective
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:05 PM »
Mihm's dad played tennis at Marquette.

I may have gotten the story jumbled in my head over the years, but I think Sczerbiak's dad reached out to Deane and said straight up that Wally wanted to play at MU. Deane passed.

Correct on Wally, as Deane told Wally's dad he has this 6-8 kid in MI who averaged a double double. Polo. Nice kid, great student, successful as a PT, but as a basketball player, um....
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »

My favorite Deane story, by far, was I heard he went up to a girl at Hegarty's and said, "Roses are red, violets are blue, if you have a fat ass, you go to MU."

Unless you heard those words come straight from Mike Deane's lips, it's very rude of you (to both Mike Deane and Marquette students) to pass that on.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »
Unless you heard those words come straight from Mike Deane's lips, it's very rude of you (to both Mike Deane and Marquette students) to pass that on.

Oh those words were 100% said.  The mid to late 90s were really our glory years. 

My favorite was the night the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI.  MU had won earlier in the day @ De Paul...Mike is running around high fiving people about the big win and riding anyone who thought he was talking about GB.  It was just classic Mike, effing with people. 

The girls he would say that stuff to were girls he would be drinking with all year.  They knew what was coming and they loved him --- he was like fun Uncle that your parents would prefer you don't drink with too much.  Mike would also hand out $100 bills and make kids promise they'd buy a keg for kegs & eggs to pregame for the next home game. 

Mike is one of a kind.  Really good guy.  Sure he had his issues but he took care of people.  And yes, he was an absolute blast post game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:48:27 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
His recruiting hurt him as the Oneil players left the program he beacme less and less successful.

?????

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
?????

He means that as the players that O'Neill recruited to the program graduated, Deane wasn't able to replace them with similar talent.

For instance, the six top scorers on the 1996 team we are talking about, were all O'Neill signings.  (Hutch was a freshman in Deane's first year, but I believe that O'Neill recruited him to MU.) 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »
Oh those words were 100% said.  The mid to late 90s were really our glory years. 

My favorite was the night the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI.  MU had won earlier in the day @ De Paul...Mike is running around high fiving people about the big win and riding anyone who thought he was talking about GB.  It was just classic Mike, effing with people. 

The girls he would say that stuff to were girls he would be drinking with all year.  They knew what was coming and they loved him --- he was like fun Uncle that your parents would prefer you don't drink with too much.  Mike would also hand out $100 bills and make kids promise they'd buy a keg for kegs & eggs to pregame for the next home game. 

Mike is one of a kind.  Really good guy.  Sure he had his issues but he took care of people.  And yes, he was an absolute blast post game.
This was a good article about Deane prior to this season.
http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/gordon/index.ssf/2016/10/former_wagner_college_coach_mi.html

He really never abandoned his Rockland County ways. Hopefully he comes to the next Alumni game.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
He means that as the players that O'Neill recruited to the program graduated, Deane wasn't able to replace them with similar talent.

For instance, the six top scorers on the 1996 team we are talking about, were all O'Neill signings.  (Hutch was a freshman in Deane's first year, but I believe that O'Neill recruited him to MU.)

Yep. KO's last class was Hutch, Zach McCall (a 6-3 forward who smoked himself out of MU) and Richard Shaw, who was just plain awful on the court and earned being called "Dick" with how he treated his fellow students.  I always thought KO recruited Shaw knowing he was leaving MU before he ever had to coach him.

If Hutch and Deane hadn't developed such a contentious relationship when Hutch was a senior we may have made the tourney in 97-98.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2017, 06:38:46 AM »
W
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:40:49 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
Yep. KO's last class was Hutch, Zach McCall (a 6-3 forward who smoked himself out of MU) and Richard Shaw, who was just plain awful on the court and earned being called "Dick" with how he treated his fellow students.  I always thought KO recruited Shaw knowing he was leaving MU before he ever had to coach him.

If Hutch and Deane hadn't developed such a contentious relationship when Hutch was a senior we may have made the tourney in 97-98.
I suspect that Hutch's sickle cell health issues had a lot more to do with his performance as a senior.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »

That team started 10-0. Did something happen midseason?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

When KO left, the cupboard was incredibly full of talent: Eford, Miller, Gates, McCaskill, Hutch, Piep, Crawford, Abraham, McCall, Shaw & Joseph. As the wiki says, "Deane inherited five players (and one incoming recruit) who would finish their careers as 1,000-point scorers (two of which would go on to the NBA). " Deane really blew it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
The Cords-Deane rift was a wide open gaping hole. This article eviscerates Cords, remembering many of the press and alums were Mike's drinking partners. Looking back, Cords is seen as the visionary and Deane as hitting his Peter Principle at MU.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/cords-deserves-blame-for-mu-s-fall-not-deane/article_978a7cbe-8dcd-5251-9292-3c18fcd27cb0.html

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
The Cords-Deane rift was a wide open gaping hole. This article eviscerates Cords, remembering many of the press and alums were Mike's drinking partners. Looking back, Cords is seen as the visionary and Deane as hitting his Peter Principle at MU.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/cords-deserves-blame-for-mu-s-fall-not-deane/article_978a7cbe-8dcd-5251-9292-3c18fcd27cb0.html

Yeah, Cords was not popular for years but to his credit stuck to his vision and played grueling long game.  It worked.  Separately, back in the early (mid?) 90s the J-S did a feature on Bill and struggled to find anybody who would speak well of him on the record. But to Bill's credit he didn't care ... he plowed through it all and was relentless. And Karp .. yeah, well

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »

If I had any idea who Jerry Karpowicz is, that would be a fun link to send his way.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

If I had any idea who Jerry Karpowicz is, that would be a fun link to send his way.

Karp was never a fan of Cords, though I thought he appreciated KO's work more than this article indicates.

His was the perfect counterpoint to the columns D. Orlando Ledbetter used to pen from the J-S.  He was passionate about MU needing to move on from Deane before it was cool. He got a lot of crap for that back in the day for arguing that MU's ceiling was higher than it realized, and it wouldn't reach it with Mike.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »

Change the names and dates and I'd seat this was scoopers talking about the BOT and Buzz
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
Deane really blew it.

So did KO looking back.

I appreciate your history here. It would be great if Chicos and Ners chimed in under whatever screen name they espouse currently, as they were also in the AD at this time.

Attaching nice, historical piece by Chicos on Cords...
http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2006/10/my-years-with-bill-cords-personal.html

Best Deane-o quote heard (as he entered an establishment):  "I need a drink here. I am so dry I am farting dust."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »

El Dino said that. A lot.

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
El Dino said that. A lot.

First time I met him I said nice to meet you Coach.  He said don't ever call me that, call me Mike.  I asked why, I assumed it was because I never played for him.  Nope, he said:

"Because I'm an a$$hole and when you talk about me I don't want you denigrating the entire profession by saying...so coach said this and coach did that"

Mike owned it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
Cords was socially inept.  He got the job done i respect that and im guessing his bosses did as well.  However, socially inept is putting it kindly.  Inwas dumbfounded first time i spoke with him.  After that i spoke with him a few times partially out of comedy and partially to reverify his ineptness.  After that i just avoided him, too painful.  Yes n bill cords n a microphone was a trainwreck.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:37 PM »
I suspect that Hutch's sickle cell health issues had a lot more to do with his performance as a senior.

Nah, that could be controlled. It was being managed for Hutch and he played with it during 1996-97, where he averaged 13 points a game and then 15 as a senior. The issue was he and Deane hated each other; Hutch claimed Deane was a racist and took his time coming back from injury, Deane sent coaches all over campus tracking Hutch to make sure he was going to class. Hutch took is time coming back from injury and we lost 5 of 7 after starting 10-0, with Wardle's game winner at Louisville being the highlight.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »
Nah, that could be controlled. It was being managed for Hutch and he played with it during 1996-97, where he averaged 13 points a game and then 15 as a senior. The issue was he and Deane hated each other; Hutch claimed Deane was a racist and took his time coming back from injury, Deane sent coaches all over campus tracking Hutch to make sure he was going to class. Hutch took is time coming back from injury and we lost 5 of 7 after starting 10-0, with Wardle's game winner at Louisville being the highlight.

And Al said to Mike...you need him a lot more than he needs you, figure it out. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:46:25 PM by The Lens »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Good story on the history of Deane , Izzo and Jud Heathcoate.
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/03/for_michigan_state_its_time_to.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2017, 12:05:52 AM »
And Al said to Mike...you need him a lot more than he needs you, figure it out.

Trust me, I wasn't taking Deane's side.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »

No, it's not. It's a story on a sports message board in a thread about an old coach who was renowned for drunkenness and bad behavior. And, according to two other people on here, and those I personally know that heard it, Deane said it.

You want to pass judgment, pass it on "Dirty Mike Deane."
We Are Marquette