[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Should Marquette leave the Big East?  (Read 23180 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Should Marquette leave the Big East?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
Wee ain't goin' no wear just 'cuz some no nothin' Pooper Scooper decides ta fart out a thought, ai na?

O.K., then lets ask where is the Big East going or where is FOX SPORTS going?  Nothing too strategic, just looking a few years out.  Will it be status quo forever?   You know the "drill", dental benefits, electric tooth brushes, Invisaline, etc..

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »
O.K., then lets ask where is the Big East going or where is FOX SPORTS going?  Nothing too strategic, just looking a few years out.  Will it be status quo forever?   You know the "drill", dental benefits, electric tooth brushes, Invisaline, etc..

Who knows what the future brings?  Who cares what it is like ten years from now?  Marquette should think smartly regarding the end of the Fox contract and plan accordingly, but other than that, why does any of your ramblings matter?

The Big East is the best non-football conference for men's basketball.  It is literally the best place for Marquette to be a member.  If that changes ten years from now, Marquette can go elsewhere. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »

Who knows what the future brings?  Who cares what it is like ten years from now?  Marquette should think smartly regarding the end of the Fox contract and plan accordingly, but other than that, why does any of your ramblings matter?

The Big East is the best non-football conference for men's basketball.  It is literally the best place for Marquette to be a member.  If that changes ten years from now, Marquette can go elsewhere.

Are we talking about 10 years out?
Sounds like a good plan to me, real leadership, let FOX drive the university.  No need to "rant", we have a plan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
Are we talking about 10 years out?
Sounds like a good plan to me, real leadership, let FOX drive the university.  No need to "rant", we have a plan.

WTF are you even talking about?

JoeTheNonJesuit

• Walk-On
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
He was close, if by lose, he meant win.

Just so you know, he read this comment as saying he got it right and I got it wrong. Too many scotches at the Vogue. He predicted MU would be crushed by X. HE got it backwards not I.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »

WTF are you even talking about?

About synchronicity, good night, love you.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Mods, do Vogue and the NonJesuit post from the same computer?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
Mods, better, yet, nuke this thread for the sake of 65's dignity.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
Scoop is getting even more weird.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
Keep scoop weird!  FWIW, ners is doing his jj thing over on scout and thinks scoop is nothing but clowns.   I feel better about me already.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:17:26 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »
vogue, are you OK? Seriously.

I enjoyed your quirky take on politics on that late, not-especially-great board, even if I often disagreed. But I'm not even sure what you're saying on half your posts here.

Worried about you, man.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
Mods, do Vogue and the NonJesuit post from the same computer?

No, he is one of my only friends, a know it all lawyer, and of all things  a Maryland fan. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
vogue, are you OK? Seriously.

I enjoyed your quirky take on politics on that late, not-especially-great board, even if I often disagreed. But I'm not even sure what you're saying on half your posts here.

Worried about you, man.

You are probably right, thinking outside box can be very painful.  For example, while I  hate on ND, must say that they crafted some hell of a deal.  Their unique  TV deal, and a place within a conference for basketball as a "part time" member.

The future may be pay for view and a return of the independent.  The future may already be upon us.

In my job I was always thinking down the road 20 or 30 years, that is why this thread causes so much angst for some.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:18:17 AM by vogue65 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »
You are probably right, thinking outside box can be very painful.  For rxample, while I  hate on ND, must say that they crafted out some hell of a deal.  Their unique  TV deal, and a place within a conference for basketball as a "part time" member.

The future may be pay for view and a return of the independent.  The future may already be upon us.

In my job I was always thinking down the road 20 or 30 years, that is why this thread causes so much angst for some.

The pay per view concept is interesting. It would certainly allow schools to control their own destiny. Not sure I like it though as it would make casual fans less likely to be scrolling through the channels and watch.
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
In my very long and very interesting life I once worked with a college ref.  in his day job.  I attended some of his games and it was amazing how we would both see two separate games.  He would be looking at the base line while I  saw a player hit another player,  or he was watching the clock while I'm watching the shooter. 

My point, officiating is done differently in different leagues and on different nights.  It is fair, but different. 

The question at hand is, is Marquette willing to play competitively in a league which promotes a style of play that requires a specific type of player?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:39 AM »
What league would we go to that is better than the BE?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »
You are probably right, thinking outside box can be very painful.  For example, while I  hate on ND, must say that they crafted some hell of a deal.  Their unique  TV deal, and a place within a conference for basketball as a "part time" member.

This is because ND has a football program with a huge fan base all over the country not really about basketball. Can't live as an independent in basketball.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »
In my very long and very interesting life I once worked with a college ref.  in his day job.  I attended some of his games and it was amazing how we would both see two separate games.  He would be looking at the base line while I  saw a player hit another player,  or he was watching the clock while I'm watching the shooter. 

My point, officiating is done differently in different leagues and on different nights.  It is fair, but different. 

The question at hand is, is Marquette willing to play competitively in a league which promotes a style of play that requires a specific type of player?
Son is a ref (high school, but has ref at least 3 nba pics including Barnes) what you describe is because depending on the ref and his position on the court his responsibilities vary that is why your friend was watching just specific areas. Those were his responsibilities they do not watch the whole court off course they might see something that they could call outside thier determined area. That is why you see them come together to over rule a call or make sure they saw the same thing. And of course different ref crews call games differently some allow more contact etc. just different emphasis and human nature.
Goal is National Championship

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »
What league would we go to that is better than the BE?

I don't have an answer.   As I  say, what goes around comes around, look at the ND solution, or pay for view independent teams.  As an independent we could play Gonzaga, Virginia Tec., W.V., and even have some real rivalry games.  Now we have made for T.V., made for and by FOX rivalries.

Or a league that officiated more to our style of play, with our style of player.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »
I don't have an answer.   As I  say, what goes around comes around, look at the ND solution, or pay for view independent teams.  As an independent we could play Gonzaga, Virginia Tec., W.V., and even have some real rivalry games.  Now we have made for T.V., made for and by FOX rivalries.

Or a league that officiated more to our style of play, with our style of player.
[/b] what league would this be

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »

We could do that in non conference, but who are we going to play once conference season starts? Find teams with buys and hope 8 of them want to come to Milwaukee?

I think as the Big East grows, we will develop some more rivalries. We've had good games with Butler. We developed a rivalry with Pittsburgh in the old Big East, so it can happen again.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

1. If 20 to 30 years from now, it would make sense for Marquette to return to being an independent, they can do so.

2. That future most definitely isn't now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
The days of being able to thrive as an independent are over.    Al got to go everywhere and play everyone (except UCLA).    But that was before cable, conference tournaments, a 68 team tournament.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »

1. If 20 to 30 years from now, it would make sense for Marquette to return to being an independent, they can do so.

2. That future most definitely isn't now.

We probably agree more than we disagree.  The reality is that there is an acceleration of change going on.  Everything has changed, MU, BE, FOX, UCON, WV, etc. 

What probably set me off was the St. John's game in the city.  When we go east;  Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Providence, Vilanova we are playing in a different world, a different game. 

Unfortunately I  don't have great expectations about the BE tournament, and that is very unfortunate.

I am not saying that we are not competitive, I am saying that we may not be competitive in this conference in the east which is 5 games plus the tournament.  Perhaps we are competitive in Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago and Indianapolis. 

Therefore, I question either the conference or the basketball  strategy.  Prove me wrong, I  would be very happy to be wrong. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Does playing in Providence, Washington, Philadelphia, Newark, Omaha and Queens help our recruiting of quality students?

Are you talking basketball or overall? From a basketball perspective, it clearly isn't hurting it. On the whole, the best way to attract quality students through the basketball program is simply having success. That's why we saw such a boom in applications after 2003. There is no other comparable conference that would give us the exposure potential we have here.

Does Marquette have any additional rivalries after participating in the conference?

Yes. We have rivalries with Xavier, Butler, and Creighton. While we have lost ND on the schedule, that was unavoidable and their choice. Leaving the Big East would not change that.

Will the league change the style of officiating to help our style of play?

You don't pick a league based on officiating, you adjust your recruiting and play style to that. That's why we have 3 players coming in that are 6'9"+ coming in next year.

Let's not forget, officiating can change from half-to-half in game. The Duke/Wisconsin championship game largely turned on Duke's ability to adjust to the referees while Wisconsin did not. When push comes to shove in March, it's not the referees you have dealt with all year that will determine your success, but your ability to adjust to the referees you are assigned. Getting the highest caliber of referee will be easiest within the construct of a strong conference. There is no stronger conference that would permit us admission, so if refereeing is the argument, this is the only conference to be in.

Will Fox Sports renew the windfall contract?   Are they making out, we are, no question, are they?

Who knows? Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but we're locked in for years to come. The Big East will have the chance to explore options and pursue lucrative contracts when that option presents itself. Regardless, our basketball-only conference pays more than AAC teams get for all sports, and far more than any other non-football league.

The notion of going independent or joining another league are simply ludicrous. Marquette does not have the fanbase of a Notre Dame nor the regional power of a large state school. We would struggle to put together a schedule that came close to being as competitive as what we have now. We would need to fill 18 spots with top-100 opponents. Good luck with that. And any other league would be a massive step down.

In the past 3-1/2 years, the Big East has established itself as one of the best conferences in the country. It is the only league that garners respect on par with the big football conferences. There is no easier route to success than by climbing the ranks in this conference. Why would we go to the A-10, the MVC, or the Horizon when we've seen Xavier, Creighton, and Butler flee from there to get where we are today and flourish in the process? Why would we go independent when there are literally no current independent teams in the entire sport and haven't been since NJIT in 2015?

How is this even a question? I think the only way we should consider this is if we "leave" the "Big East" and take Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, St. John's, and Seton Hall with us, while also taking the television contract rights, the Big East name, and the rights to MSG.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.